Saturday, January 16, 2016

Pasta with bone marrow


Things are pretty busy around here this weekend and so I'm afraid that I'll have to be quick. I need you get over to your favorite butcher right away. I say favorite because the idea here is to score a few marrow bones, but then have the guy cut them lengthwise to expose the marrow. Not everybody is going to want to do this, what with their fingers needing to get so close to the band saw and all. My guy wasn't all that cool with the idea at first, but he came around without too much prodding.

Anyhow, when you get these babies home, season them with salt and pepper and roast them in a 400 degree F oven for around 20 minutes or so, or until the marrow is nicely cooked but not burned. (I had been asked to prepare this dish by My Associate when our friends Tom and Beth were over for dinner. To wit: For a pound of pasta I procured and roasted six bones, or twelve halves.) 


There's not much to this thing really. Make yourself a simple pasta aglio olio e peperoncini for four. After you've incorporated the pasta into the other ingredients in the pan, scoop out the marrow from all of the bones and mix them into the pasta. That's it. You're done.


Okay, I lied, there's one more step. Grate some Parmigiano-Reggiano on top of each serving and have at it.

Quick cooking doesn't get a lot better than this.

PHOTOS BY BETH "QUEEN OF BAKERS" MEYERS

No comments: