Sunday, January 11, 2015

Olive oil orange cake


I liked this cake way before ever tasting it. But then I'm big on subtle (often citrus-based) endings to a meal, especially a big old multi-courser. Which, as it happens, is the kind of meal that I was asked to provide an ending to on this occasion.

The recipe isn't mine. It's from a woman named Deborah Mele, who authors the blog Italian Food Forever (yes, Joe, it had to be Italian!). I don't know the woman, but anybody who'd put together a cake like this chewy orange beauty is okay by me.


The whole recipe is reprinted below but basically you start by lopping off the end pieces of two seedless oranges.


Chop both oranges up into small hunks — yes, the peel and all — and then quickly pulse in a food processor. Add 1/3 cup olive oil and process some more, but don't let it get too smooth. You want there to be texture; to me, that's what makes this cake so good. I mean, it'd taste the same if the oranges were completely smooth, but without the chewiness of the pulp and peel, well, let's just say that I'd be a lot less interested.


As I said, the exact recipe is below, but here you've got your processed oranges, flour mixture, and also your eggs-and-sugar combo.


Fold everything together gently, and gradually (not all at once), until thoroughly combined.


Pour the mix into a buttered and floured 9-inch spring-form pan and place in the oven, preheated to 350 degrees F.


The recipe called for 50 to 60 minutes cooking time, and this took exactly 50 minutes. Go figure.


Allow the cake to cool, dust with powdered sugar and have at it.

Oh, and make sure to save a slice or two. It tastes even better the next day.


RECIPE
Olive Oil Orange Cake
Original recipe: Italian Food Forever

Ingredients:
2 small seedless oranges
1/3 cup olive oil (Despite instructions not to do so I used extra virgin)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Dash of salt
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (I only used a cup)

To garnish:
Powdered sugar

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and lightly grease a 9 inch spring-form pan.
Cut off a small slice of the thicker top and bottom parts of each orange, discard these pieces, and then cut the rest of the oranges (flesh and peel) into chunks.
Place them in a food processor and puree until blended but with some texture left.
Add the oil to the oranges and pulse until blended.
Mix together the flour, baking powder and soda and salt in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl beat the eggs until they are light and fluffy and then slowly add in the sugar.
Begin to add the egg mixture in three parts alternating with the orange mixture just stirring until combined. (Be careful not to over mix which will deflate the eggs and create a dense cake.)
Pour the cake batter into your prepared pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or just until a cake tester comes out clean.
Cool before slicing.


2 comments:

Kay Eye said...

Oh, my. This was excellent, Mr. Meatball. One of my oranges was a Cara Cara orange and I wouldn't do that again - not quite as sweet as the navel orange -but the cake was delicious anyway.
I used 1 1/4 c. sugar.
It was done in 50 minutes.
Since there are only two of us in the household, it took two days for us to eat the whole thing.
That good.

Anonymous said...

This was delicious. I increased the amounts by 50% to make a larger cake (10" pan) and cooked it for about 60 min. Towards the end of it's time, I spiked it with some Triple Sec I thought, after that, that next time I'll add some TS right from the beginning. A winning recipe!