Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Mussels & sausage


Why eat light when you don't have to, am I right?

Here's my thinking. I never ate a bowl of mussels steamed in garlic and white wine without doing serious damage to a good loaf of bread for sopping up the juices. This, of course, substantially ups the calorie count of the dish, but then it also vastly improves the pleasure that I derive from it. 

Being an all-or-nothing kind of guy, I figure what's the harm in collecting a few more energy units. In the form of a couple of sausages.

Okay, so it's more than just a couple of extra calories. What are you, my doctor?

If you are a fan of the classic steamed mussels in garlic and white wine, and don't mind the occasional indulgence, I highly recommend putting this "Surf & Turf" on your to-cook list. Just don't forget the bread.

MUSSELS & SAUSAGE
Recipe

3 tablespoons olive oil
5 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
Hot pepper to taste (optional)
1 pound sweet Italian sausage meat (removed from the casing)
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 pounds fresh mussels
Fresh parsley

Clean the mussels by scrubbing the shells and rinsing under cold water. Set aside.

In a pot or pan large enough to hold the mussels, saute the garlic (and hot pepper if using) in the olive oil until garlic is soft but not brown.

Add the sausage meat and cook until all sign of rawness is gone.

Add the stock and wine and bring to a boil.

Add the mussels and cover to allow steam to build up.

When the mussels are open (this should only take around 5 minutes; discard mussels that do not open) transfer to bowls, top with fresh parsley and serve.

2 comments:

cecilia g said...

Presently i live in a little farm inn the midwest, but when I get back to my home in NZ for a break and we go to the beaches and find some mussels I shall be back for this recipe, I like your style.. i am off to explore more of your site..I grow my own pork, beef, lamb and chicken .. I think you might have some interesting recipes for me! c

Charlene Ann Baumbich said...

Meatball strikes the hunger chord again! Shared the link with every mussels lover I know.